Forty years they walked, they walked.
They had left, an impossible victory
an impossible freedom
but that was
that was, to them.
08.17.17 Never forget.
- 1 can chickpeas, drained but save the liquid
- 1 tsp sea salt, or to taste
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 tsp honey, to taste
- 1/2 c tahini
- In a food processor or powerful blender, add the garlic and lemon juice. Let stand for 5 minutes.
- Add tahini, honey, cumin, salt, and drained chickpeas. Add in half of the reserved bean liquid.
- Blend on high speed until as smooth as possible, add more of the bean liquid as needed to achieve a light, whippy consistency.
- Transfer to a sealable container. Keeps in the fridge for up to 2 weeks.
Harissa Fried Egg
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large free range egg
- 1/2 tsp dry harissa
- In a non-stick skillet, fry the egg as you normally would on medium-high heat.
- When the egg is nearly done, tilt the skillet so the oil pools together. Add the harissa to the oil and spoon the harissa oil over the edges of the egg until crisp.
Shaved Cucumber Pea Shoot Salad
- 1 medium spiny cucumber (persian cucumbers have too much water)
- 1 handful young pea shoots
- squeeze of lemon
- Cut off the ends of the cucumber. Slice lengthwise into thin, wide ribbons on a mandoline.
- Toss with the pea shoots and dress with a squeeze of lemon. Use immediately.
- 1 pita, lightly toasted
- 2/3 c hummus
- 1 harissa fried egg
- shaved cucumber pea shoot salad
- 2 tbsp crumbled feta
- 1 tsp za’atar
- extra virgin olive oil
- Spread the hummus evenly on the pita.
- Add the egg and drizzle the harissa oil all over the hummus
- Arrange the cucumber salad on the pita around the egg, top with feta, za’atar, and a drizzle of olive oil.